EIP on AHA
What is it?
The European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (EIP on AHA) was launched by the European commission concerning innovation and digital transformation in the field of active and healthy ageing. A European innovation partnership in general is a partnership for strengthening EU research and innovation. Such partnerships bring together relevant actors in a certain area from all over the European Union to handle social challenges on an innovative level. The EIP on AHA was created in 2011.
Why has this partnership been established?
As mentioned in many articles that have been posted here before, the European population is ageing rapidly. A higher life expectancy is of course very positive, but it also has some downsides, since ageing does not always occur in a healthy way. The general conclusion is that the older people will get, the more diseases they will experience. Over the next 50 years, it is expected that the number of people over 65 will double and the number of people over 80 in Europe will even triple. It is a fact that on average 20% of a person´s life is lived in an unhealthy manner. The older you get, the longer you will live with certain diseases. People will also be more susceptible to multiple chronic diseases
Objectives of the EIP on AHA
The main target of the EIP on AHA is to increase the average healthy lifespan by 2 years by 2020. This aims for 3 noticeable results for Europe:
- Improving the health and quality of life of Europeans with a focus on older people.
- Supporting the long-term sustainability and efficiency of health and social care systems.
- Enhancing the competitiveness of EU industry through business and expansion in new markets.
To achieve these goals, 2 main pillars have been developed: action groups and reference sites. Furthermore there are 3 crosscutting horizontal initiatives, which could be seen as supporting and regulating both pillars. These three initiatives are: the Blueprint, I2M and MAFEIP. The following image explains the relation between the pillars and the initiatives.
There are multiple ways to get involved:
- There is the possibility to register on the EIP on AHA portal. This portal is meant for cooperation and engagement that can help in the development of innovative ideas and initiatives within the EIP on AHA. There are many possibilities, such as uploading strategies, initiatives, projects, events or documents and these will be checked and used to their optimal ability. This not only supports the EIP on AHA but can also help you build your network and boost ideas and initiatives.
- Take action with an action group. For these action groups, invitations are launched every few years. But registration is also open in the meantime. By now there are around 3500 commitments towards an action plan. A commitment is a measurable and concrete engagement, such as a project initiative, in support of an action, or a group of actions, that helps achieve the objectives and deliverables of these action plans.
- Become a reference site. The reference sites as described in the image are regions, cities, and integrated hospitals or care organisations that focus on a comprehensive, innovation-based approach to active and healthy ageing. They actively show their participation in active and healthy ageing.
EIP on AHA conference 2018
There has been a conference of partners of the EIP on AHA in February earlier this year. During the 2-day conference, the main topic was the transformation of health and care in the digital internal market. Technology is of course a hot topic nowadays in healthcare and therefore also for the EIP on AHA an important matter for innovation.
Foston´s contribution to active and healthy ageing
Foston Europe contributes to active and healthy ageing by increasing the quality of life of the elderly when installing our software and/or our products. When using Foston´s products combined with system integration software; Calas, independence of patients is increased. This can be in home care and care institutions of all sizes. Furthermore, efficiency increases, care is more personalized and costs are reduced. Since technology in healthcare is becoming increasingly important, Foston´s implementations will become important. More and more different products and systems from many manufacturers are produced to serve as a helping hand in care institutions. Proper integration of these products and systems is important to make optimal use of those.
Read more about the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing.